Does SEO Work for Small Business?
One question we get asked all the time is: “Does SEO work for small businesses?”.
While some will claim that focusing on other digital marketing ventures is more practical, we firmly stand by small business SEO.
In fact, with the right SEO strategies in place, we’d argue it’s one of the most cost effective marketing avenues small businesses have up their sleeves.
To help you understand more about the effectiveness of small business SEO, here we:
- explain how SEO works for small businesses
- and run through some FAQs that many small business owners have when first starting their SEO journey.
Let’s do this!
Does SEO Work for Small Business? (Quick Answer)
The short answer is yes.
Search engine optimization (SEO) can work for small businesses.
However, it’s important to understand that SEO is a long-term investment and doesn’t always produce results overnight.
It takes time and effort to improve your small business website’s ranking in Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs), but the potential payoff is totally worth it.
Is SEO Worth it for Small Business? (Long Answer)
It’s no secret that SEO can be a seriously powerful tool for business growth. But is it worth it for small businesses?
The long answer: it largely depends on your goals and how you go about executing your SEO strategy.
If done correctly, SEO can help reach more of your target audience, increase brand awareness, and drive more traffic to your website.
And if your goal is to increase potential customers, then getting your site to the first page of local search results is essential.
According to a study by the industry-leading SEO tool Moz, in recent years, the first page of Google captures some 92% of search engine users.
But simply achieving high rankings isn’t enough – you’ll also need to cultivate a great user experience.
Google’s algorithm considers a variety of factors, such as website speed, mobile-friendliness, and usability when determining where a site should rank.
And what about the long-term prospects of SEO?
The algorithm used by Google and other search engines is constantly changing, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices.
A good SEO agency or consultant will certainly help a small business navigate these changes and improve its online presence.
SEO for Small Business FAQs
If you’re still unsure if SEO is the right move for your business, flick through these FAQs. Something here may put any hesitations you may still have to rest.
What is SEO and how does it work for small businesses?
There are many factors that go into SEO, from the words you use on your website to the way your website is coded. But at its core, SEO basics are all about improving a site’s visibility and organic search results.
This makes SEO a valuable marketing tool for small businesses.
By doing keyword research and creating relevant, high-quality content, small businesses can improve their website’s ranking in Google search results and attract more visitors.
Off-page SEO tactics like link building and social media engagement are used to create backlinks and positive sentiment around the site.
And technical SEO tactics like website architecture, crawlability, and indexation all work in tandem to improve the notoriety and profitability of a small businesses website.
How many small businesses use SEO?
Despite SEO being one of the most cost-effective ways to market a small business website, generate new leads, and target potential customers, only half – 49% – of small businesses are investing in SEO services of one kind or another.
This is super unfortunate as a recent study conducted by HubSpot found that “Blogging businesses experience 126% higher lead growth than non-blogging businesses.”
A blog is one of the crucial parts of any good SEO strategy.
By implementing the consistent output of content, creating value to the reader, and targeting long-tail keywords, small businesses can improve their SEO and bring in more leads from potential customers.
Here are a few SEO tips for improving your local SEO efforts and implementing an effective content strategy:
- Make sure your website is properly optimized for search engines. Be sure to use the correct keywords and phrases in your title tags, meta descriptions, and other ranking factors throughout your site’s various web pages.
- Implement content creation techniques that produce content that will interest your target audience. This could be anything from blog posts, infographics, to on-site videos.
- Reach out to other bloggers and websites in your industry and collaborate on content projects to build quality backlinks and consequently boost rankings.
- Make use of Google’s suite of free tools to help businesses with their SEO efforts. The two most commonly used tools are Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
- Couple SEO with other techniques like social media marketing or pay-per-click (PPC) ads. Social media can help you drive traffic to your website. And PPC can be an effective tool for improving your website’s exposure, helping to drive more traffic to your landing page or other content.
Do local businesses need SEO?
When it comes to marketing a local business, many people assume that traditional methods such as advertising on TV or in print are the only way to go.
However, with the rise of the internet and its ability to connect businesses with potential customers all over the world, local businesses need to consider search engine optimization as a key part of their marketing strategy.
Google My Business (GMB) is a free platform that lets business owners create a business profile and post updates about their company. It also allows small businesses to claim their Google Maps listing, add photos, videos, and update their products or services as needed.
One of the benefits of GMB is that it can help your business rank higher in Google search results.
In fact, according to Google, businesses with a complete and accurate GMB profile are up to 2.7 times more likely to be viewed as reputable by customers, 70% more likely to be visited, and customers are 50% more likely to consider making a purchase.
Why should small businesses invest in SEO?
SEO is one of the most cost-effective marketing strategies available to small businesses.
It requires an initial investment in time and resources to learn and implement the necessary techniques, but the payoff can be significant.
By increasing their web traffic, small businesses can reach more potential customers and generate more leads and sales.
The main components of SEO are optimizing the website content, structure, and on-page SEO elements like titles, meta-tags, and anchor text, implementing a solid link building strategy that secures backlinks from other high-authority domains, and improving site speed.
What are the pros and cons of SEO?
There are many pros of SEO efforts:
- One of the most notable is that SEO results in more referrals to your website. Studies have shown that companies who invest in SEO efforts see a significant increase in their conversion rates. In fact, as reported by Search Engine Watch, “80% of local searches on mobile phones convert.”
- Additionally, online visibility is crucial for any business and SEO helps with that too. Overall, search engine optimization can lead to an increase in website traffic, and as a result, more customers finding what they are looking for on your site.
- Finally, using the right search terms can help you attract the right kind of customer who is likely to be interested in what you have to offer.
SEO isn’t all big-wins, though.
Note, that there are a few cons to SEO that should be considered when investing in an SEO campaign.
- Content marketing and outreach are essential components of any successful SEO strategy. Therefore, SEO is not a quick fix. It takes time and effort to see results.
- SEO is not a one-size-fits-all solution. What works for one website may not work for another. Therefore, it’s important that small business owners have a clear strategy and are willing to invest the time and resources necessary to find success.
- Additionally, search engine algorithms are constantly changing, making SEO complex and hard for beginners to keep up with the latest trends and best practices.
SEO strategies work for small businesses when implemented correctly. However, as a small business owner, taking on the complexities and fast-paced world of SEO can seem impossible.
That’s where SEO experts like Loganix come in.