What Is Local Pack? The Key to Local SEO & 3-Pack Success
With nearly half of Google searches having local intent and 88 percent of those leading to actions like calls or visits within a day, the Local Pack is a must-use tool for local businesses.
To catch you up with the ins and outs of the Google Local Pack, by the end of this guide, you’ll
- know the answer to the question, “What is Local Pack?”
- understand why it’s a game-changer for local businesses,
- and uncover some pro tips to dominate this space and outshine competitors.
What Is Local Pack?
Sometimes called the Google Map Pack or the Local 3-Pack, the Local Pack is Google’s way of presenting local business listings most relevant to a user’s search query. The Local Pack, titled “Places,” showcases three local businesses, including their business name, customer reviews, and addresses. The Local Pack is also accompanied by a map, pinpointing each business’s location.
Acting as a reference guide, the Local Pack saves users from having to sift through multiple websites. Instead, Google conveniently presents a business’s profile directly on the search engine results page (SERP).
Local Pack vs. Organic SERPs
Google organic search results are the backbone of Google’s search results. Generated by Google’s suite of search algorithms, they present websites most relevant to the user’s search query and perceived intent. Unlike the Local Pack, organic results encompass many topics, not just local content.
It’s also important to note that the Local Pack isn’t a permanent fixture on the SERPs. The Local Pack only graces 20.18 percent of all Google searches. However, its presence fluctuates based on the nature of the search. For instance, according to Semrush Sensor data, at the time of writing:
- If you’re searching for health-related topics, there’s a 53.28 percent chance you’ll encounter the Local Pack.
- On the other hand, sport-related queries only see the Local Pack 3.75 percent of the time.
Learn more: Local SEO vs. organic SEO.
The Local Finder’s Role
Beyond the Local Pack is the Local Finder, a more extensive list of local businesses. By hitting the “More places” button under the Local Pack, the Local Finder gives Google users a broader view of the business within a given area.
Learn more: Interested in broadening your SEO knowledge even further? Check out our SEO glossary, where we’ve explained over 250+ terms.
Why Is Google Local Pack Important?
What truly sets the Local Pack apart from Google’s other SERP features? Trust.
68 percent of Google users trust the business listings in the Local 3-Pack, which dwarfs the 27 percent trust rate of the organic search results found below it. A level of trust that translates to tangible benefits. Local businesses fortunate enough to appear in the Google 3-Pack experience 126 percent more traffic than those ranked in positions 4 through 10.
Okay, we’ve got trust and traffic, but what about sales?
Another area the Local Pack shines in is conversions. 80 percent of local searches result in a conversion within 24 hours. You can’t beat that.
How to Optimize for the Local Pack
Let’s dive into the strategies that will help you optimize for Google’s Local Pack.
The Power of Google Business Profile (Formerly Google My Business)
Without a Google Business Profile, you aren’t ranking for the Local Pack. The details in your profile appear when users search for businesses like yours on Google Search and Maps. So, what’s the course of action? Fill out your profile with everything a potential customer needs to location or contact your business by:
- Ensuring your business name, address, and phone number (NAP) are consistent across all online directories, including Yelp, Facebook, and TripAdvisor.
- Uploading clear photos of your business, products, or services.
- Keeping your business profile updated with the latest information, such as new services, products, or operating hours.
Learn more: Local rank tracking.
SEO Local Pack Optimization: On-Page and Off-Page Strategies
Optimizing for the Local Pack goes beyond your Google Business Profile. Consider these three strategies, too:
- Ensure your website’s content includes local keywords like your city or neighborhood name.
- Acquire backlinks from local websites, newspapers, or industry-relevant blogs to enhance your local relevance.
- With many local searches happening on mobile, ensure your website is mobile-friendly.
Learn more: Local SEO guide.
The Role of Reviews
Reviews play are a Google ranking factor and play a significant role in Local SEO. Boost your business’s chances of ranking in the 3-Pack by:
- Encouraging satisfied customers to leave positive reviews.
- Responding to positive and negative reviews showcasing your commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Regularly managing your online reputation to ensure the quality and quantity of reviews reflect the true value and trustworthiness of your business.
Learn more: Local SEO ranking factors.
Local Pack FAQ
Q1: How Does Google Determine Local Pack Rankings?
Answer: Google ranks local businesses in the Local Pack based on a range of ranking factors. Arguably, the three most important factors include the proximity of the business to the user, the relevance of the business to the search query, and the business’s reputation.
Q2: How Often Does the Local Pack Update?
Answer: The Local Pack business listings are dynamic and are updated frequently based on real-time data, such as new reviews, changes to a business’s information, and shifts in local search behavior. To consistently rank in the Local Pack, continually monitor and optimize your Google Business Profile.
Q3: Can Paid Advertising Influence Local Pack Listings?
Answer: Nope, the Local Pack listings are organic and not influenced by paid advertising. However, businesses can use Google Ads to appear in the “Sponsored” section available above or below the Local Pack.
Conclusion and Next Steps
Keeping your Google Business Profile updated and optimized for the latest features and algorithmic preferences of Google will give you a big headstart over your local competition.
You don’t have to go it alone, though. With the expertise of Loganix, you’ll give your business the best chance to appear at the forefront of local search.
🚀 Dive into Loganix’s local SEO services and journey to local search dominance. 🚀